Information > Ethics and Ecology

Amphibians on Earth

<< < (3/3)

Xzen:

--- Quote ---Because amphibians are highly sensitive to changes in their surrounding environmental conditions .. [they] give a rough idea of the local and global health of the planet.
--- End quote ---

It seems to me the evocative toad is fast becoming a significant indicator of humanities maturation - or lack thereof. We, as the 'dominant' species on Gaia, clearly have an obligation to take a sober look @ how we are affecting the planet & to correct our course significantly.

A notorious practitioner, in tears of overwhelm once cried; "The end of the toad is the end of the world!" With aggravating environmental & political events rife upon the planet, & a rising spiritual naivety among humanity, it seems reasonable to entertain the notion that we are well & truly in the throes of a kind of Armageddon; the oft prophecised 'battle between good & evil' that plays out before the 'end of time' or 'Day of Judgement'.

If it is this dire, what might it take for us to right ourselves with existence so that a zero point quantum celebration may occur, rather than a looming disaster? The sticking point here, as you so eloquently express in your post, Shy Violet, is that those with good intention may still make significant mistakes, & this in turn requires deep humility & authenticity to rectify.

The impact of the neoshamanic wave has me contemplating the saying that 'hell is full of good will or desires' - 'L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés ou désirs'. I know all too well the cataclysmic consequence of good intention gone awry, & first hand am responsible for choices born of ignorant enthusiasm, that have turned out to be more harm than help - in dangerously shocking measure. Such disparity both @ home & abroad must be remedied both personally & collectively if we are to justify our involvement (dare I say entanglement) in the entheogenic emergence.

Perhaps if we find a way to release the bond of shame & judgement that comes with such volatile terrain, we may feel more comfortable to self reflect, & in turn inspire some very raw & real dialogue within this community. I am intimately interested in this approach, & though not always on point here, am willing to apply myself.

Ultimately my attention is on good relations & beneficial outcome for the collective, with Gaia & all inhabitants being a significant & obviously essential component of this unified approach. It's my belief that to address the external environment effectively we must be equally inclusive of our attention to the internal landscape; & that it is imperative we establish a voluntarily self correcting community of both practical & profound proportion.

In simple terms, if I make a mistake, we have an understanding that you (the community) know how to productively offer me the tools of insight required for me to willingly allow for correction so that I may be in harmony once more with collective consensus. Perhaps non violent communication is worthy of mention here, as I certainly know its a skill I wish to improve upon in order to move forward productively.

In relation to the notion of a collective consensus, I would love to see the development of a world wide Entheogenic Ethics & Ecology Ethos. Perhaps this is a far reaching vision, however i propose that even if we miss the moon, we're sure to land in the stars.

--- Quote ---.. biologists have explained that the human impact would not be noticed immediately, but rather a few years down the road, when it may be too late to take proactive corrective action.
--- End quote ---

Yes. We must apply foresight, & history starkly suggests that we may be causing more harm than we realise (think Maria Sabina & the "little ones", & more recently still - the ayahuasca culture that has placed extreme demand & strain on environment & is riddled with events of questionable ethical action). This is alarming as it seems mass consensus relies on disaster as a catalyst to incite transformation; rather than upon the insightful & lucid steering of a new course that is established via the collective guidance of intelligence & wisdom.

--- Quote ---The Mexican state of Sonora has seen an influx of foreign visitors over the past five years who, after learning about the unique feature of this toad through media outlets such as the Vice episode that documented the use of the toad-derived psychoactive compound, have decided to take it upon themselves to journey to Sonora, to places like Magdalena, which are easily accessed after crossing the border from Arizona into Mexico to get their own supply of the toxin.
--- End quote ---

&

--- Quote ---With the continued popularity of this underground little creature partly through the release of films such as Episode 1 of the series titled “Shamans of the Global Village”, which features details such as how to identify the toad, where to find the toad and how to extract the venom, the threat posed for the continued existence of this toad is real and significant.
--- End quote ---

I have been privy to various actions, choices, perspectives, individuals & teams associated with 5-MeO-DMT, & all people involved seem to be wanting a similar outcome. Yet despite common goals, it sometimes feels as though I have witnessed & experienced more dissonance than harmony in the 5 community. Not necessarily always apparent on the surface, in the undercurrent this rip is undeniably present.

Perhaps this is all an expression of my own inner discord, & to respond to this I am inclined to practice ho'oponopono - the art of seeing all in self & offering forgiveness where grievances lay. I assure you this has been a challenge for me, & is a healing I truly take to heart.

Much of what has occurred in community near & far has me concerned, & I once again include myself in this weaving. I invite us to discuss such matters, perceived glitches & misdirection with a consideration that ultimately has no one feeling exposed & isolated; & yet has all involved willingly participating in transparency, refinement & correction - collectively & personally.

With right relations comes the potential for profound global benefit. I believe we intrinsically know & aspire to this level of required commitment to harmony for the sake of the whole (& holy), so thank you for bringing such a pertinent issue to the fore.

--- Quote ---With more and more people each year going to the Sonoran desert from faraway places such as Australia and Spain to collect venom to take back home and, in some instances, actually removing the toads from their natural habitat, the viability of the species is being put at risk, and with it the health of the overall ecosystem in the Sonoran desert.
--- End quote ---

This is something I feel we all need to look @. Self correction & community re-direction are clearly required here. There are several movements in place that are designed to support the study of Incilius alvarius in it's endemic environment. Intention seems focused on determining our current impact on creature, culture & context ... so lets see if we can indeed learn & in turn be of benefit here.

I invite the consideration of collaboration among the different groups who are aiming for the same essential goal of greater awareness, education & the development of sustainable practices. Even though separate bodies might remain in seemingly different functions, the work can potentially be done together with greater efficiency. This level of cooperation may appear to be idealism, yet so does an inspiring dose of 5, imo.

Our need to act correctly, succinctly & with all encompassing compassion seems more vital with this cultural wave than in any other time. The fragility of the situation is apparent, & it is time for us to truly begin new relations, for the sake of new outcomes. I have learned this the hard way - stubborn as I can be, & pray others need not encounter the same obstacles I have had, in order to grow.

Cooperation seems key to me, & I sincerely pray we find a way to settle into demonstrable unity - swiftly.

--- Quote ---As someone who is very interested in seeing clinical outcomes as well as mechanism of action studies conducted with this molecule, I fear that the wave of neoshamanism that has been fostering irresponsible and unsustainable use of this finite natural resource could effectively shut down our chance to get scientific work off the ground.
--- End quote ---

I concur that there is a fostering of 'irresponsible and unsustainable' practice, & hope others feel the impact of your message. I also agree that the way forward includes the responsible merging of spirit, science & study.

--- Quote ---The dissonance between what people say and what they do is concerning. Please, let’s all wake up and get it right. What a wondrous opportunity this could be to rise above ignorance, greed, and stubbornness.
--- End quote ---

Yes, a call to walk the talk. What do we stand for?

--- Quote ---At the rate things are going globally for all amphibians and locally for Incilius Alvarius, it would be wise for us to assume the worst case scenario and foresee that the species may well be decimated in the wild over the next decade if we keep up what we are currently doing as a community and continue to tolerate and turn a blind eye to the types of abuse going on – with the toads themselves, with unethical practices, with the incongruence of our actions, with the profit model that is commercializing this sacred gift of the Earth.
--- End quote ---

Cutting to the core. Brilliant.

Shy Violet, thank you for initiating what I feel is our most essential thread on the forum thus far.

Namaskar
~*~ Xzen

Bancopuma:
An excellent and important article Shy Violet, thank you for sharing.

--- Quote from: Flux on June 02, 2017, 06:15:45 AM ---It also reminded me of a discussion recently about Bufo Alvarius not 'needing' to produce 5-MeO because of the bio-availability of other bufotoxins it has to potentially deter predators and that it produces 5-MeO as a result of living underground for 9 months of the year and the relationship between 5-MeO and light.

This was idea was supported via way of testaments to darkness retreats invoking 5-MeO like states and the (somewhat speculative?) cascade relationship between melanin, melatonin, tryptophan, serotonin, pinoline and 5-MeO-DMT in the human brain.

Well the crux of idea was; that the Australian Cane Toad (Bufo Marinus) being so closely related to Bufo Alvarius could, if environmentally necessitated to hibernate underground... also begin to produce 5-MeO-DMT.

An exciting if not wild idea :)

thoughts most welcome :)

--- End quote ---

Just FYI (I do like your exciting and wild idea by the way), I've been in touch with someone who has his own pet captive bred Bufo alvarius toads...I appreciate toad keeping is rightfully discouraged, but captive bred toads at least are not impacting wild populations, and this person goes to great lengths to ensure that his toads are well looked after. (I've also been in touch with breeders here in the UK, who claims these toads do breed readily in captivity). While in the wild they will hibernate underground for much of the year, this is not the case in captivity, and it seems more out of necessity in the wild setting than anything else. This person uses toad secretion in ceremonies, for people's first 5-MeO experience only (he then goes onto use synthetic 5-MeO for subsequent sessions).

In his own words, based on his experience keeping toads:

--- Quote ---It’s a myth that toads in captivity give less secretion, low potency secretion or need to hibernate to give it all. Same myth as the licking toads’ thing...

I have synthetic 5-MeO on hand, so I can say that their secretion (if not milked more than every 8 weeks and if they are fed enough) is VERY potent, I’d say more than the average of 20% it’s more the max of 25% of overall material. A full dose (15mgs) is usually achieved with 70mgs toad secretion only.
--- End quote ---

That darkness-biochemical cascade theory subscribed to by some Taoist groups and others is mighty interesting indeed, but at this point in time is pure speculation...this is an area in dire need of some more research. Lindsey Vona's account of a two week darkness retreat makes for mighty interesting reading from a 5-MeO perspective though, and some of her experiences sound very reminiscent of 5-MeO experiences:

"At one point in my meditation, my head opened and flooded with light. I watched and felt this quiet bliss and gladness take over and noticed that my body became pure vibration."

"I was absorbed into this light, and this light became the entirety of space around me until I was only this giant, radiant light-filled void. I was real and home again and bigger than a trillion of our suns."

"I was a gigantic bigger-than-all-concept-of-universe radiant unending shimmering ball of light emanating perfect compassion forever without cause."

"Even my experiences of perceiving the maya, of perceiving emptiness and suchness throughout my whole “life as Lindsey” as a spiritual seeker could not come close to this total absorption into self-remembering perfection of total...er...uh...beyond words and description annihilation into truth-light." ...etc.

http://www.hopedance.org/home/awakenings/2051-lindsey-vona

...to me, that description of "annihilation into truth-light" just sounds like textbook 5-MeO! It makes me very intrigued about one day experiencing a darkness retreat.

Keepertoad:

--- Quote from: Flux on June 02, 2017, 06:15:45 AM ---Thanks Shy Violet,

This is the prefect post for seeding the Ethics and Ecology section

It also reminded me of a discussion recently about Bufo Alvarius not 'needing' to produce 5-MeO because of the bio-availability of other bufotoxins it has to potentially deter predators and that it produces 5-MeO as a result of living underground for 9 months of the year and the relationship between 5-MeO and light.

This was idea was supported via way of testaments to darkness retreats invoking 5-MeO like states and the (somewhat speculative?) cascade relationship between melanin, melatonin, tryptophan, serotonin, pinoline and 5-MeO-DMT in the human brain.

Well the crux of idea was; that the Australian Cane Toad (Bufo Marinus) being so closely related to Bufo Alvarius could, if environmentally necessitated to hibernate underground... also begin to produce 5-MeO-DMT.

An exciting if not wild idea :)

thoughts most welcome :)

--- End quote ---

I have heard that hibernation is not required for 5meo production

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version