Science and Spirituality > Spirituality

KUNDALINI & PSYCHEDELICS

(1/5) > >>

Flux:
KUNDALINI & PSYCHEDELICS,

The overwhelming somatic aspect of the 5-MeO-DMT (and other psychedelic medicine) experience is something that I continue to attempt to understand in some way in order to harness, utilise and apply the experience and concept to everyday life somehow. So much focus is given to the psychological aspects of psychedelics and little to the kinetically sensory facets. As 5-MeO-DMT is unique in its targeting, aligning, clearing and releasing of what is often perceived as ‘the energetic body’ and exhibits time and time again a fury of energy either pouring through the physical bodily vessel or arising out of it, it seems to me only causal that many individuals would interpret their experiences through the concept of Kundalini (awakening or otherwise).

I hear the term Kundalini so often and used in many different ways and contexts, it can often seems like an ambiguous ‘new-agey’ marketing variation on other practices like Yoga, Tantra and the like. Yet nonetheless, I have visualised, felt and witnessed in others what appears to quite specifically be a rising of a serpentine like energy from the base of the spine (which is about as far as my knowledge and understanding of the phenomenon extends).

I would like to start this thread with some resources that may help to build a common framework for what Kundalini is in the context of the psychedelic experience, and of course particularly 5-MeO-DMT to subsequently gather knowledge about the intersection between the two. I therefore extend a welcome to forum members better versed, studied or practised in the Kundalini phenomenon, (its traditional/mythological origins, theoretical applications, and disciplinary devotions) to contribute to this understanding ...or for anyone to simply share any anecdotal experiences.

Kundalini Awakening Systems 1, Drugs & Kundalini http://www.kundaliniawakeningsystems1.com/kundalini-drugs.html#.WfPIvI-CzIU

Psychedelic Drugs & Kundalini, by Donald J. DeGracia, Ph.D. http://www.dondeg.com/metaphysics/lsdweb/kundbk.html

Psychedelics and Kundalini awakening,https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&m=760224

Do Psychedelic Drugs Mimic Awakened Kundalini? Hallucinogen Survey Results, by Donald J. DeGracia, Council for Spiritual Practices, http://www.csp.org/practices/entheogens/docs/kundalini_survey.html

Extended Kundalini Awakening LSD by Mahan Atma, https://erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=10774

Insight Practices, Kundalini, and Psychedelics Safety, Dharma Overground,
https://www.dharmaoverground.org/discussion/-/message_boards/message/6017679

Psychedelics and Kundalini Energy, Bluelight,  http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/445770-Psychedelics-and-Kundalini-Energy

With Gracious Blessings,

Flux

Bancopuma:
Hi Flux,

This is an interesting topic, thanks for providing some further reading on this. I do think there is something to this kundalini stuff, and that the yogi's are on to something. I'm not claiming to have personal experience with it although I have experienced different facets of what I would consider my bioenergetic system. And it is this system as you point out that 5-MeO-DMT seems to work with, in a highly specific manner compared to other psychedelics. So I've long pondered a potential link between kundalini and 5-MeO-DMT. Also quite interesting to note that endogenous 5-MeO humans has been detected in cerebrospinal fluid, and textbook kundalini rising symptoms are the feeling of the energy moving up the spine (not claiming there is a connection, I just thought it was interesting). If there is a potential neurochemical link between the experience of kundalini and endogenous compounds, 5-MeO-DMT is an interesting potential candidate (given its profound potency compared to N,N-DMT).

I thought Indian yogi/mystic/writer Gopi Krishna's eloquent account of his full kundalini awakening experience sounded very familiar with respect to the 5-MeO experience:

"The illumination grew brighter and brighter, the roaring louder, I experienced a rocking sensation and then felt myself slipping out of my body, entirely enveloped in a halo of light. It is impossible to describe the experience accurately. I felt the point of consciousness that was myself growing wider surrounded by waves of light. It grew wider and wider, spreading outward while the body, normally the immediate object of its perception, appeared to have receded into the distance until I became entirely unconscious of it. I was now all consciousness without any outline, without any idea of corporeal appendage, without any feeling or sensation coming from the senses, immersed in a sea of light simultaneously conscious and aware at every point, spread out, as it were, in all directions without any barrier or material obstruction. I was no longer myself, or to be more accurate, no longer as I knew myself to be, a small point of awareness confined to a body, but instead was a vast circle of consciousness in which the body was but a point, bathed in light and in a state of exultation and happiness impossible to describe."

...sounds familiar, no? The experience of light, and waves of light, the loss of contact with the physical body, the experience of boundless, bodiless consciousness, a state of exultation and bliss...there a number of interesting overlaps with a full release/breakthrough dose of 5-MeO.

Now one thing you tend to hear from yogi's into kundalini yoga and other forms of yoga that work with this kundalini energy is that it takes a great deal of preparation and purification, and guidance is required in order for one to awaken their kundalini safely. An analogy sometimes used is that trying to awaken kundalini before one's system is ready for it is akin to try forcing far more voltage through a bulb than it can handle...you need to tune up the electrical circuitry with practices and under guidance so you don't get any short circuits with all that excess energy going into one's system. I'm not sure to what degree this is outdated dogma, and to what degree it is true and sage advice (I've heard a few believable accounts of people suffering side effects from practicing kundalini yoga and having to cease their practice so I think there may be something to this)...it would be good to have a yogi or two chime in here. But kundalini syndrome (the side effects of a kundalini awakening gone wrong) or symptoms like them rarely seem to be reported by 5-MeO experiencers...so I'm wondering if they are different even if they overlap to a fair degree.

It would be really interesting to hear from someone who practices kundalini or other forms of esoteric yoga for their perspective. This is the perspective of a Nexian who has experience with N,N-DMT, an NDE and kundalini yoga, and he felt there was a great deal of overlap between them:

"In my life so far I've had an NDE, smoked DMT, and also had brief insights through Kundalini yoga (which I had to stop), interestingly enough they were all very similar experiences with similar visuals, emotional states and thoughts."

Also this I believe is relevant here, the words of another Nexian who may be a member here, who had an accidental dose of 30mg 5-MeO-DMT via IV (being under the impression it was N,N-DMT). This induced a hybrid experience somewhere between a very heavy 5-MeO experience and a classical NDE. The relevant part here is the after effects he experienced:

"The after effects are one of the most striking things about it. I want to know why that happens. Is there some kind of metabolite; like nor-ibogaine that sticks around for a while active in the system? Or is it some kind of "subtle body" effect, ala kundalini, that although still un-measurable, unquestionably exists if it can be stimulated through a drug! I felt like I was "downloaded' upon coming down instantly with a knowledge of the 'technology' of yoga. The way and reason that pranayama, asanas, and mudras work in conjunction with one another to manipulate energies within the body to become a circuit for subtle energy. However, with no real practical knowledge, my experiments put me on the verge of insanity I felt and I had to stop. At one point, I regressed into the mind of a mouse along my ancestral line right after the extinction of the dinosaurs trying to figure out what to eat and how to survive. That was typical day in the weeks after the experience."

An interesting topic for sure...thanks for all the linked resources I'm going to check them out.  :)

Rising Spirit:
Now this is quite a lovely thread to discover, here at the 5 Hive.  Kudos Flux, you've birthed a wonderful topic for tremendously significant discussion! My very first mystical experiences were triggered by LSD.  My own spontaneous Kundalini activation occurred in 1978, before I even knew conceptually speaking, what "the serpent energy" was about...  nor had I any knowledge of the chakras, astral planes or causal planes, let alone the state of Samadhi. 

But along the way, the association between Yogic, Tantric, Gnostic and Taoist practices further ignited the journey. As surely as dawn follows night, the activation of kundalini ignites exponential spiritual awakening, deeply within the soul resonance of the fearless conscious-awareness of the cultivated psychonaut (21st century Rishi/Shaman).  I offer a very deep bow.   _/|\_ _/|\_ _/|\_

Rising Spirit:

--- Quote from: Bancopuma ---I do think there is something to this kundalini stuff, and that the yogi's are on to something. I'm not claiming to have personal experience with it although I have experienced different facets of what I would consider my bioenergetic system. And it is this system as you point out that 5-MeO-DMT seems to work with, in a highly specific manner compared to other psychedelics. So I've long pondered a potential link between kundalini and 5-MeO-DMT.
--- End quote ---
Myself being a 5-MeO-DMT virgin, I cannot say with any validity whether or not 5-MeO has a greater capacity to trigger the release of Kundalini.  I have, however, had the experience of full blown Kundalini activation triggered from:  LSD-25, mescaline, psilocybin and NN-DMT.  When I initially encountered "the serpent energy", back in 1978, I had no knowledge of the phenomenon, despite having practiced sitting meditation since 1975.  Through martial arts training, I had been introduced to Seon Buddhist meditation (Zen).  So, perhaps this influenced the release?  It was to occur on my 5th or 6th trip on acid...  and the effects changed my life permanently. 

--- Quote from: Bancopuma ---I thought Indian yogi/mystic/writer Gopi Krishna's eloquent account of his full kundalini awakening experience sounded very familiar with respect to the 5-MeO experience:

"The illumination grew brighter and brighter, the roaring louder, I experienced a rocking sensation and then felt myself slipping out of my body, entirely enveloped in a halo of light. It is impossible to describe the experience accurately. I felt the point of consciousness that was myself growing wider surrounded by waves of light. It grew wider and wider, spreading outward while the body, normally the immediate object of its perception, appeared to have receded into the distance until I became entirely unconscious of it. I was now all consciousness without any outline, without any idea of corporeal appendage, without any feeling or sensation coming from the senses, immersed in a sea of light simultaneously conscious and aware at every point, spread out, as it were, in all directions without any barrier or material obstruction. I was no longer myself, or to be more accurate, no longer as I knew myself to be, a small point of awareness confined to a body, but instead was a vast circle of consciousness in which the body was but a point, bathed in light and in a state of exultation and happiness impossible to describe."

...sounds familiar, no? The experience of light, and waves of light, the loss of contact with the physical body, the experience of boundless, bodiless consciousness, a state of exultation and bliss...there a number of interesting overlaps with a full release/breakthrough dose of 5-MeO.
--- End quote ---
A wonderful book!  I highly recommend reading Gopi Krishna's epic book, Kundalini:  The Evolutionary Energy in Man.

--- Quote from: Bancopuma ---Now one thing you tend to hear from yogi's into kundalini yoga and other forms of yoga that work with this kundalini energy is that it takes a great deal of preparation and purification, and guidance is required in order for one to awaken their kundalini safely. An analogy sometimes used is that trying to awaken kundalini before one's system is ready for it is akin to try forcing far more voltage through a bulb than it can handle...you need to tune up the electrical circuitry with practices and under guidance so you don't get any short circuits with all that excess energy going into one's system. I'm not sure to what degree this is outdated dogma, and to what degree it is true and sage advice (I've heard a few believable accounts of people suffering side effects from practicing kundalini yoga and having to cease their practice so I think there may be something to this)...it would be good to have a yogi or two chime in here. But kundalini syndrome (the side effects of a kundalini awakening gone wrong) or symptoms like them rarely seem to be reported by 5-MeO experiencers...so I'm wondering if they are different even if they overlap to a fair degree.

It would be really interesting to hear from someone who practices kundalini or other forms of esoteric yoga for their perspective.
--- End quote ---
Within days of my initial experience, I began to read Swami Paramahansa Yogananda's, Autobiography of A Yogi  I was initiated into the practice of Kriya Yoga in 1979 and began the gradual journey of Self Realization.  Kriya Yoga is essentially the science of Kundalini activation and the cultivation of an unwavering degree of concentration. 

Kundalini is studied through many branches of Yoga and Tantra.  Such pathways are incrementally developed methodology and great care is taken to prepare the nervous system and neurological functions to balance the explosive release of the life force coiled at the base of the spine. Purification of the sadhaka is a prerequisite but eventually, the activation is a geyser-like flood of energy, shooting up the spinal axis, where it reaches full bloom at the Sahasrara (the 7th chakra). 

When the seeker effectively enters Savikalpa Samadhi, the inner witness merges with the nondual state and the experience dissolves, albeit temporarily, the division between the relative and the absolute vanishes, perceptually.  Finite reality is revealed to be infinite reality and in such blinding effulgence...  the greatest ecstasy is birthed.  One so sweet, it vaporized the human ego.  Interphase with the undifferentiated realm of the Unified Field is perhaps the ultimate reason for human evolution. 

Namaste, All.   _/|\_

Bancopuma:

--- Quote from: Rising Spirit on January 16, 2018, 09:51:35 AM ---When the seeker effectively enters Savikalpa Samadhi, the inner witness merges with the nondual state and the experience dissolves, albeit temporarily, the division between the relative and the absolute vanishes, perceptually.  Finite reality is revealed to be infinite reality and in such blinding effulgence...  the greatest ecstasy is birthed.  One so sweet, it vaporized the human ego.  Interphase with the undifferentiated realm of the Unified Field is perhaps the ultimate reason for human evolution.
--- End quote ---

...this describes my life changing breakthrough Bufo/5-MeO-DMT experience from last year very well indeed! All the more intrigued to know what you will make of 5-MeO-DMT, Rising Spirit, given your extensive background with yoga and experience with such states...  :) _/|\_

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version