Main Menu

State-legalize 5-MeO-DMT in California?

Started by bobjesse, February 11, 2021, 10:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobjesse

California Senator Scott Weiner plans to introduce a bill through the legislature that would decriminalize the personal/noncommercial growing, possession, sharing, and use of certain psychedelics in California for persons 21 and older. (I hope I've got that about right.) Sales would remain illegal. The law would not and could not change federal law.

The current draft of the legislation includes many of the substances you'd expect, including DMT, but it does not include 5-MeO-DMT. Changing this may or may not be feasible.

If you had your druthers, would you like to see 5-MeO-DMT included or not?

Knowledgeable people may well be concerned about decriminalization increasing use of the material before its unique properties and risks are appreciated, leading to serious adverse events and possible backlash. Another issue is welfare of the toads. A counterpoint, with respect to the synthetic material, is that whatever the problem, handcuffs are not the answer.

Personally, on balance I was inclined to suggest including 5-MeO-DMT in the decrim bill, especially if it would be possible to decriminalize synthetic or plant-derived material, but not the toad venom. In any case, before advocating for 5-MeO-DMT, I wanted to check with some knowledgeable and invested folk — you.

What are your thoughts? If you wanted to make a case for including 5-MeO-DMT among the psychedelics to be decriminalized, is there a document that you'd suggest to inform a non-expert about the properties of 5-MeO-DMT that would justify including it? Preferably something brief or with an executive summary.

Here is how to contact the senator: https://sd11.senate.ca.gov/contact

Thanks,
Bob

bobjesse

Handshake

A great article! I think that most would agree that it is best that people in possession of 5-MeO-DMT need not be put in handcuffs.

Brother Goose

As with cannabis I expect that decriminalization will precede legalization. We are already starting to see this in certain states. One of the few things slowly going right with our beloved gobernment.  ::)
Jesus Mihi Omnia