Main Menu

Megalomaniac ego rebirth after ego death?

Started by Goodpeace, July 28, 2019, 01:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goodpeace

Many people become more egocentric and inflated after their "death" instead of the opposite... What do you think about that? James Oroc writes in his Tryptamine Palace:
The effect of LSD on the ego has been likened to the effect of hard exercise on muscle. LSD shreds the ego, but—just as a muscle rebuilds larger and stronger after being "torn down" by hard exercise—so too can the ego actually strengthen after years of repetitive high-dosage LSD use. This would explain a lot about the egomaniacal blowouts of the apparent leadership of the "psychedelic movement"...

Mips

This is a very old post, being nearly 4 years old. Yet I feel it's absolutely crucial and still vitally relevant. Qdos to the poster, I hope we can get some answers.

So why is it that often awakening through psychedelics (and other means), can so often lead to a super inflated ego? It happens time and time again - people with incredible levels of insight & awakening develop the most obnoxious egos. Why is that?

Rising Spirit

Quote from: Mips on December 17, 2022, 11:40:12 AM
This is a very old post, being nearly 4 years old. Yet I feel it's absolutely crucial and still vitally relevant. Qdos to the poster, I hope we can get some answers.

So why is it that often awakening through psychedelics (and other means), can so often lead to a super inflated ego? It happens time and time again - people with incredible levels of insight & awakening develop the most obnoxious egos. Why is that?

This phenomenon is certainly not limited to just medicine people and entheogenic voyagers.  One can find innumerable cases of people experiencing:  mystical states, losing fixation with their egoic self-mesmerizm, merging into oneness, dissolving into the absolute Godhead, etc...  who return to recreate a sometimes monstrous, messianic complex.  Many, many, many "spiritual teachers" and gurus reveal contradictory behavior and conduct, despite their follower's incistance and fervent proclamation of their enlightenment.  It's simply the often contradictory nature of the human being.  How proposed sages warp into predators is most disturbing but hardly uncommon in any religious tradition or cult.  "Absolute power corrupts absolutely".  Bhagwan Rajneesh/ "Osho" being the most famous example in recent times.  Although, there have been many others, with many more yet to come.

That said, the process is amplified and exaggerated from the use of psychedelics, to such a degree that psychonautical pilgrims can transform from rock musicians, psychotherapists, actors or exotic dancers... Into neo-shamans, psychic healers, mystical mediums and well-paid life coaches.  In extreme cases, we encounter brand new Avataras of this present Age, ready to dish out sermons, doctrines and initiations.  I liken it to a sort of gravity for the mortal soul.  Dissolving all constructs of oneself whilst entranced, yet, coming down to earth, only to deal with duality in the afterglow.  When freed from the limitations of the isolated and individuated ego-self, the Spiritus blooms exponentially and how this mutates into a sort of spiritual narcissism, is quite disappointing and most perplexing, to say the very least. 

But hey, it's all a part of the dreamscape that people manifest.  The 5-MeO sacrement assuredly, potentiates this phenomenal shift with an immensity and an immediacy that has no other equal from the many powerful psychedelic compounds used as sacred medicines, despite the wealth of insight and spiritual healing that they mystically gjft.  Still, each medicine unites the isolated seeker to the universal state in their own unique ways.  Absorbing the explorer in the very fusion of the  enigmatic journey, devouring the illusion of separateness within the fulcrums of the cosmic exploration.  Miraculously, one's separate self resolidifies and rebuilds even more rigid conceptualizations such as, "I am here to teach humanity", "I am God" or "I am here to save the world".  Worse of all is, " I am the Master.  Come to me, I will enlighten you too."

Some greatly tempted folks even decide that their own abundance is of primary importance and their utmost concern.  This leads to charging outlandish fees for the anointment with the sacrement and/or integration coaching, after ceremony.  Duality sure has it's sneaky ways of contradicting the nondual epiphanies experienced by soul birds in their intrepid flight.  I suspect that even Zoroaster, Moses, Mahavira, Socrates, Buddha, Lao Tzu, Yeshua (Jesus Christ), Kabir and Sri Ramana Maharshi grappled with the ego-self's incessant fanfare?  The perpetual ole house of mirrors?  Life is but a dream, after all.  That said, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, everyone!   _/|\_ _/|\_
There is no self to which I cling, for I am one with everything.