Main Menu

Best natural sources for 5-MeO-DMT

Started by ForeverChanging, June 02, 2017, 03:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForeverChanging

Hello. In the line of the other threads in this section and what I mentioned in my introduction essay, I think it would be good to try to find reliable natural 5-MeO-DMT sources.

Trout's notes is a good start for research: http://troutsnotes.com/pdf/SomeSimpleTryptamines_2ndEd_2007_with_addendum.pdf  (page 121)

Anadenanthera falcata - Has been found with mainly bufotenine (Source 1 me, Source 2  Giesbrecht 1960 in Trouts Notes ), mainly 5-MeO-DMT (4.5+% in dry seeds!!  Savio and Nunes et al 1962 in Trouts Notes )  , or a mix of 5-MeO-DMT and bufotenine (Endophytic, Nexus 2013
The seeds from this plant can be bought online easily at least in Brazil (Store 1 , Store 2 , Store 3,  and all of those are viable seeds for replanting since they are used to reforest degraded areas  (hope im not breaking rules posting seed suppliers, if so, sorry and let me know! )

I think this might be a good plant to explore since seeds are sustainably harvested and at least in Brazil you can buy it easily..  Im not sure if those stores ship internationally but maybe a brazillian friend from someone could help out or some reshipping company can be used or something of the sort.  It might be very variable and some not have 5-meo-dmt at all but its certainly worth a try getting from different suppliers and seeing if one of them is reliably containing 5-MeO-DMT

Other possible sources:

Diploterys cabrerana - I suggest we forget this one, all 4 analysis so far have shown 5-MeO-DMT to be absent or only in trace amounts

Desmodium pulchellum - (Ghosal et al.  1972c in Trouts Notes)  Mature stem and leaf (1.4% Total alkaloid, 0.476% of which is 5-MeO-DMT).. Also found:
Gramine - 0.098%
N,N-DMT - 0.294%
DMT-N-oxide - 0.070%
5-Hydroxy-N-methyltryptamine - 0.056%
Bufotenine - 0.112%
Bufotenine-N-oxide - trace
5-Methoxy-N-methyltryptamine - 0.154%
5-Methoxy-DMT - 0.476%
5-Methoxy-DMT-N-oxide - 0.070%
6-Methoxy-Nb-methyl- H4-β-carboline - 0.028%
Advantages- Thats a lot of 5-MeO-DMT if its reliable .. Disadvantages: Found mostly in Asia, cant find live plant/seeds sources online, and thats quite a mix of alkaloids, though it could potentailly be cleaned up

Virola theiodora - Epena snuff made from virola theiodora resin was found with very high quantities of 5-MeO-DMT, up to 9.68%! (Agurell et al 1969 in Trout's Notes). It seems most is concentrated in the resin which is extracted from the live plant's bark. The bark itself has 0.11% (again Agurell et al 1969 in Trout's notes).   Advantages: That's a good amount of 5-MeO-DMT specially in resin.. Disadvantages: Only found in the amazon tropics, no seeming vendor online)

Phalaris arundinacea var Turkey Red - 0.0025% to 0.045% wet weight (Trout's notes).. Advantages: Can be grown all around the world  indoors or in a lot of areas outdoors. Disadvantages: Not too much specially in lower amounts, but in higher amounts when dried it would be a decent amount...     Not sure about vendors of cuttings

Bufo alvarius - The most reliable source in chemical terms and yet strong questions regarding the ethics of harvesting from these animals

Lastly, I want to mention that I am willing to test plants/extracts from these or other plants, so if someone has any such plants, please post here and I'll help finding a way to testing it.

nottwo

I've had my eye on Virola theiodora as a possible source for quite a while but didn't know about Anadenanthera falcata seeds which sound very interesting. I'm guessing the extraction techniques would be very similar to DMT extraction, standard STB or A/B?

Do you have any idea what other substances might come across as well? It seems that several plants that contain 5-meo also contain nn-dmt which could change the experience quite a bit. I did once accidently smoalk a mixture (the GVG I used still had a little unused dmt in from a previous smoalker) and the experience was fairly dramatic, 5-meo but with explosions of color!

Handshake

Thank you for compiling this list, ForeverChanging!

It seems that the most promising ones would be Anadenanthera falcata and Desmodium pulchellum. The biggest challenge there would be to separate all the compounds, no?

With Virola resin: Is there honestly any person who has successfully done a pure extraction of 5-MeO-DMT from it? And if so, what methods were used? I scoured DMT Nexus for information on Virola extraction but found nothing satisfyingly conclusive. I did read people suggesting that an A/B extraction with a defat step would be good but I didn't read of anyone being very successful. Any thoughts on this one? I do know of someone who has a large amount of wild harvested resin, so perhaps that could be tested.

ForeverChanging

I have never extracted 5-MeO-DMT for personal use, just crude extractions for analysis, but theoretically yes, it would be pretty much the same extraction as DMT.  As for A. falcata, the alkaloids found were either 5-MeO-DMT, or bufotenine, or small amounts of DMT..  bufotenine can be easily separated due to it's polarity, it should stay in the acqueous layer when extracting with naphtha/hexane/heptane  since it is too polar, while 5-MeO-DMT and DMT should come across.. Separating 5-MeO-DMT and DMT would be a bit more complex due to the similar polarities but it is still theoretically possible in a number of ways.. I (or someone else) would have to experiment though. Either way it would be definitely worth to do an A/B and see what you have.. The final product could be tested with TLC (easy enough for everyone)  or I could help getting it tested in a lab.

HumbleVoyager, I've never heard of anyone having success with virola resin, but to be honest I havent heard of anyone trying virola resin in general, so....  I'd try an A/B for sure.  One could even try to use a less selective solvent like xylene/toluene (or limonene and then backsalting with acidic solution)  to make sure one is getting more of the alkaloids.   I can help it getting tested if someone does this

Handshake

Quote from: ForeverChanging on June 02, 2017, 07:57:37 AM
I have never extracted 5-MeO-DMT for personal use, just crude extractions for analysis, but theoretically yes, it would be pretty much the same extraction as DMT.  As for A. falcata, the alkaloids found were either 5-MeO-DMT, or bufotenine, or small amounts of DMT..  bufotenine can be easily separated due to it's polarity, it should stay in the acqueous layer when extracting with naphtha/hexane/heptane  since it is too polar, while 5-MeO-DMT and DMT should come across.. Separating 5-MeO-DMT and DMT would be a bit more complex due to the similar polarities but it is still theoretically possible in a number of ways.. I (or someone else) would have to experiment though. Either way it would be definitely worth to do an A/B and see what you have.. The final product could be tested with TLC (easy enough for everyone)  or I could help getting it tested in a lab.

HumbleVoyager, I've never heard of anyone having success with virola resin, but to be honest I havent heard of anyone trying virola resin in general, so....  I'd try an A/B for sure.  One could even try to use a less selective solvent like xylene/toluene (or limonene and then backsalting with acidic solution)  to make sure one is getting more of the alkaloids.   I can help it getting tested if someone does this

I can easily have this done by the end of summer :)
Will then send to you for analysis.

Flux

Also Dutaillyea drupacea  or Dutaillyea oreophila (From New Caledonia) may have promise;

"5-MeO-DMT was reported to be the sole alkaloid in the leaves at 0.04% but it was absent from the trunk-bark" 1981 Baudouin et al from https://erowid.org/library/books_online/ayahuasca_apa/aya_sec3_part2_admixture_other.shtml  and "One study (Pachter et al. 1959 reports 0.04% 5meo in Dutaillyea drupacea" from Overlooked DMT & 5-MeO-DMT containing plants. Need Analysis https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=41783

Handshake

That could be a possible source but not terribly viable... in 100g of material you'd have only 40mg of 5-MeO-DMT  :-\

3-breaths

I've tried virola resin without success. There must be another tek besides the nexian a/b or stb teks. I've scoured there and the Web and have never found a viable tek which begs the question, where does my synth 5 come from? I'm guessing one of the obvious plant sources. Please, revive this thread if anyone knows. Blissings... 🔥💚🕉🐸🌈

Handshake

Yes, synthetically sourced 5-MeO-DMT is not extracted from any plants, but rather synthesized from tryptophan or melatonin, as Flux said.

And I would say that at this point, producing 5-MeO-DMT synthetically is perhaps the most viable way of sourcing this material compared to known plant sources.

jamie

Most plants are still untested, and the focus was on phalaris grasses and virolas etc until everyone got into toads. The Digitaria species of grasses would probly be one place to start for anyone so inclined, due to a small handful of leads. Testing all these plants is a big job that people will do sooner or later.

I also agree that outside of personal botanical interests, synth is the way to go.

Handshake

Quote from: jamie on April 28, 2018, 09:57:58 AM
Most plants are still untested, and the focus was on phalaris grasses and virolas etc until everyone got into toads. The Digitaria species of grasses would probly be one place to start for anyone so inclined, due to a small handful of leads. Testing all these plants is a big job that people will do sooner or later.

I also agree that outside of personal botanical interests, synth is the way to go.

Hopefully testing these plants will be something that this forum can provide community and space to discuss and carry out.