Main Menu

"Practitioners Code of Conduct"

Started by Migaloo, November 24, 2017, 05:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Migaloo

In light of some solid conversation currently occurring online on various toad threads in relation to perceived lack of duty of care by Practitioners, I came up with the following idea/proposal. To help address some issues around safe operations of practitioners I had a thought that we, the 5, Toad community could draft some agreements, a code of conduct, that we ask practitioners to agree with before a session. They want us to sign forms so let's ask them to sign an agreement, or they could just register on a page or site somewhere. Or if the Practitioner did not want to be publicly recognised you could just ask: Do you agree with the "Practitioners Code of Conduct" that could be publicised at different Toad sites. If they don't then people have a reason to question this persons practice. Feel free to add to the list and comment.
1 That they will not do anything without our consent.
2 That they will be attentive to our needs till we feel done.
3 That they only intervene when really nessecary or with prior agreement.
4 That someone is present that is qualified in first aid and CPR.
5 That they don't pour water in your mouth or use any electrical devices without your consent.
6 That adequate integration is offered or a least contacts if there is any follow up integration issues.
7 That ceremony is conducted in a private safe setting. Etc.

Handshake

This topic is of utmost importance. Thank you for starting this conversation Migdaloo. I hope that as a community we can come together to determine what Code or Conduct should be universally followed.

Acasta Gneiss

Yes, needed and timely.
I have been concerned with the ethical issues involved with the entire psychedelic therapy thing for some time. Because this is new territory,being forged by pioneers working without the benefit of legal sanction or recognition, there are some very special practical concerns that would not arise with any other treatment. These are serious considerations,and with the exponentially increasing interest and acceptance of the route, and 5 in particular, it is the communities responsibility to self police and regulate poor, unethical and dangerous behavior both for all of our sake and for those coming into this with no prior knowledge or experience with illegal drugs or psychedelic, or the types of personalities involved .

I just watched the vice video. In relation to this topic, what if one has locked into and bought and paid for a ceremony after searching long and hard for such an opportunity, and the singular lifetime event were to be held on a sand and boulder strewn creek bed,near running water more than six inches deep? Is this what people must accept as a safe setting? How does one demand an actual safe space, near facilities if needed and free of dangerous obstacles when the whole thing is underground and we are at the mercy of whoever decides to be a practitioner?
I'd like to see guidelines for companion/observers, with stresses on medical CPR training, how to identify real crisis as opposed to real psychological release, along with guidance on preparation and post integration, as well as tips on obtaining synthetic to create less of a reliance on "practitioners".

Migaloo

currently having a discussion about a practitioners style on the Toad and 5 Meo DMT Testimonials site. Heres part of what I posted..... I made a suggestion on another post that I, or someone, could organise a global internet tele conference with some of the main players to discuss some main issues that could also have input from viewers. More on this to come Im sure.[/size]I have mentioned before I have had 4 sessions with this practitioner and found his facilitation both powerful and revolutionary. That said there are some processes I do not agree with and if I was to do a ceremony with with this practitioner I would state them clearly. Such as, do not put water in my mouth unless I have stopped breathing for at least 30 seconds, I don't want rap~e unless I'm really stuck and under NO circumstances are you to use your electric zapper on me. Then I would do ceremony with this practitioner in a heart beat knowing my needs were respected. Anyone can do this and I encourage people to read the piece I wrote in the file section above on "Choosing a Practitioner" and take any action required.
[/color][/size]I am glad that I have come to a stage with the medicine that I now just sit with my partner and we manage our own set, setting, style and integration. I love doing it in deep nature and shallow water, with the longer, say, one hour style, of slow integration, then a relaxing day or two out of the matrix afterwards.
[/color][/size]On the Zapper, this practitioner has made an apology to the person in the video that he wasn't warned about this option before using it on him and he will in the future alway check for consent before using any tools in his shamanic tool box. I understand people can amend the consent form to suit the initiates needs. This practitioner is a hard task master and not for everyone. In fact the Toad is an even harder task master and definitely not for everyone. There is no rush to have toad and no shame to say it's not for me and wise to do your research before hand.
[/color][/size]One positive thing to come out of all this is it appears a "Practitioners Code" is in the wind. I have put a few points down to get the ball rolling in a previous post and there will be loads more discussion and work on this Im sure.
[/color][/size]I trust that our teething issues will be resolved and we as a new community will come of age and hold this special amazing frequency in balance and reverence and inspire the change we need in this world.
[/color][/size]I bow to all those who walk this path with this medicine
and trust the gifts offered by Toad and this molecule will find their home. Aho !

teafaerie

Hello 5 Family!  I promised myself (and my editors) that I would not let this site eat my head until after I finish the ayahuasca essay that I've been working on for over a year now. I kinda got spooked when I found out how many people actually read my Teatime essays on Erowid, and now I'm sort of paralyzed by my fear of valencing people's perceptions about something that I'm still trying to sort out for myself.  I was real sick and I went to the Amazon and hit it up pretty hard for a few weeks and I got better. I had quite a number of the kinds of experiences that are widely reported, but which are still rather shocking when they actually happen to you personally. I am profoundly uncertain about how to interpret them, and I'm afraid of muddying the meme pool with my extremely tentative conclusions no matter how thoroughly I qualify the heck out of everything. So I've been stuck for a while. I promise that I'll so be coming on here just as soon as I figure out what I want to say about my time in the jungle. It's teally long overdue.

I wanted to leave a message for you all on this thread, though.  I know that best practices for facilitators is a topic that has been hotly debated of late. Here is the best recording of my much considered opinion on this matter. It's a sort of prosetic performance piece called Carrying the Light that I originally presented at the Exploring Psychedelics conference in Ashland this year.

For your consideration and amusement: https://ia600803.us.archive.org/19/items/Oregon2017-RainbowFamilyCircusTribalZoo/TheTeafaerie-CarryingTheLight.mp3

It's sort of a sequel to Mapping the Source, which I performed at Exploring Psychedelics in 2016. Its already up on this site somewhere else. But this is the best audio version: https://ia600803.us.archive.org/19/items/Oregon2017-RainbowFamilyCircusTribalZoo/TheTeafaerie-MappingTheSource.mp3

Handshake

Quote from: Migaloo on December 10, 2017, 07:12:24 PM
currently having a discussion about a practitioners style on the Toad and 5 Meo DMT Testimonials site. Heres part of what I posted..... I made a suggestion on another post that I, or someone, could organise a global internet tele conference with some of the main players to discuss some main issues that could also have input from viewers. More on this to come Im sure.[/size]I have mentioned before I have had 4 sessions with this practitioner and found his facilitation both powerful and revolutionary. That said there are some processes I do not agree with and if I was to do a ceremony with with this practitioner I would state them clearly. Such as, do not put water in my mouth unless I have stopped breathing for at least 30 seconds, I don't want rap~e unless I'm really stuck and under NO circumstances are you to use your electric zapper on me. Then I would do ceremony with this practitioner in a heart beat knowing my needs were respected. Anyone can do this and I encourage people to read the piece I wrote in the file section above on "Choosing a Practitioner" and take any action required.
[/color][/size]I am glad that I have come to a stage with the medicine that I now just sit with my partner and we manage our own set, setting, style and integration. I love doing it in deep nature and shallow water, with the longer, say, one hour style, of slow integration, then a relaxing day or two out of the matrix afterwards.
[/color][/size]On the Zapper, this practitioner has made an apology to the person in the video that he wasn't warned about this option before using it on him and he will in the future alway check for consent before using any tools in his shamanic tool box. I understand people can amend the consent form to suit the initiates needs. This practitioner is a hard task master and not for everyone. In fact the Toad is an even harder task master and definitely not for everyone. There is no rush to have toad and no shame to say it's not for me and wise to do your research before hand.
[/color][/size]One positive thing to come out of all this is it appears a "Practitioners Code" is in the wind. I have put a few points down to get the ball rolling in a previous post and there will be loads more discussion and work on this Im sure.
[/color][/size]I trust that our teething issues will be resolved and we as a new community will come of age and hold this special amazing frequency in balance and reverence and inspire the change we need in this world.
[/color][/size]I bow to all those who walk this path with this medicine
and trust the gifts offered by Toad and this molecule will find their home. Aho !

I think this kind of discussion would best be done in a static format like in this thread rather than in a teleconference. That way the information is documented and conversation flows in a stepwise fashion. This needs to happen in a textual format and can very easily take place here. Then the information can be summarized and collated in one place.

Tea! Great to see you here!! Everyone, I highly recommend giving her recording a listen.

Migaloo

Thanks Teafaerie, loved Carrying the Light, well said. I have added a few more points the the list in my proposed Practitioners code in light of recent discussions and videos. There are a few ideas being mentioned on how to come up with the definitive Code. my guess it will organically evolve. How do we reach consensus of a code around the world on this? which method is best?

1 That they will not do anything without your prior consent.

5 That they do not interfere unnecessarily, use rap`e, pour water in your mouth or use any electrical devices without your prior consent.
6 That adequate integration is offered or a least contacts if there is any follow up integration issues.
7 That ceremony is conducted in a private, safe and respectful setting.
8 That adequate supervision and assistance is given to ensure the safety of the initiate.
9 That if intervention is required due to stuck energy, safety issues or a life threatening situation, that perimeters are worked out first e.g. if I stop breathing for more than 30 seconds you can pour water in my mouth.
10 That the practitioner conducts a thorough medical and spiritual survey to determine the stability of the initiate.

Handshake

Quote from: Migaloo on December 14, 2017, 04:38:45 PM
Thanks Teafaerie, loved Carrying the Light, well said. I have added a few more points the the list in my proposed Practitioners code in light of recent discussions and videos. There are a few ideas being mentioned on how to come up with the definitive Code. my guess it will organically evolve. How do we reach consensus of a code around the world on this? which method is best?

1 That they will not do anything without your prior consent.

5 That they do not interfere unnecessarily, use rap`e, pour water in your mouth or use any electrical devices without your prior consent.
7 That ceremony is conducted in a private, safe and respectful setting.
8 That adequate supervision and assistance is given to ensure the safety of the initiate.
9 That if intervention is required due to stuck energy, safety issues or a life threatening situation, that perimeters are worked out first e.g. if I stop breathing for more than 30 seconds you can pour water in my mouth.
10 That the practitioner conducts a thorough medical and spiritual survey to determine the stability of the initiate.

Migaloo, this looks good except for 9. I don't think that at any point pouring water down someones mouth is a good idea while they are in that state. If an individual is not breathing, it would be best to perform first aid for that person. Pouring water in someone's mouth is akin to waterboarding.

The medical and spiritual survey items need to be thoroughly agreed upon before they are put into practice. The collection of that information should be stored in a secure manner which complies with HIPPA. (click for details on what that entails)

Access to adequate integration resources should be mandatory. This forum serves as a supportive community but it is also important that other licensed, reputable sources are also available.

Carlitos

Dear friends,

Im curious if anyone has devised guidelines and protocols specifically for hairy PTSD catharsis like War Trauma. Ive been working in this area the last couple of years and I feel a few caveats should be worked in somehow.

1) Veterans and or/ Ex Military require deeper pre-screening for complications from TBI and contraindications from multiple Rx medication therapy, and as such, may be disqualified at a higher rate and/or require longer preparation and detoxification? ???

2) Veteran patients and their guides should ideally be accompanied by other Veterans in the session for full trust capacity

3) Members of the Special Forces who have undergone trauma-based conditioning and who's kill-instinct reactions are unconscious should not undergo this therapy unless under extremely rigorous conditions of safety, including having fully trained security staff in the event of a combat or op flashback.

Handshake

Quote from: Carlitos on April 17, 2018, 06:57:26 AM
Dear friends,

Im curious if anyone has devised guidelines and protocols specifically for hairy PTSD catharsis like War Trauma. Ive been working in this area the last couple of years and I feel a few caveats should be worked in somehow.

1) Veterans and or/ Ex Military require deeper pre-screening for complications from TBI and contraindications from multiple Rx medication therapy, and as such, may be disqualified at a higher rate and/or require longer preparation and detoxification? ???

2) Veteran patients and their guides should ideally be accompanied by other Veterans in the session for full trust capacity

3) Members of the Special Forces who have undergone trauma-based conditioning and who's kill-instinct reactions are unconscious should not undergo this therapy unless under extremely rigorous conditions of safety, including having fully trained security staff in the event of a combat or op flashback.

Thank you Carlitos, these are great points you've raised. There may be other medicines better suited for initial PTSD treatment such as MDMA. Then after treatment with that has been successful, one could explore working with 5-MeO-DMT. The issues you mention make screening especially critical as part of treatment.

Carlitos

Thanks for the response. I appreciate the support. I also really dont mean to sound like an ass, but I've been at the PTSD game a while now, and I'm pretty familiar with all the various meds and protocols. This is not in any way "initial" treatment. The work Im doing is for people well past the introductory phase of entheogenic therapy. Im also dialed on all the pre-screening and history and have a 10 page form I use. I have a few years of clinical experience under my belt.

That being said, have you worked with Veterans in this capacity and do you have any observations to share or protocols to suggest with our medicine?

If not, the question still remains for anyone who can contribute to this discussion. :)

Handshake

That's wonderful to hear that you have been working in this area for some time.
It's helpful to have some context for the question being asked to know where you're coming from, so thank you for sharing a bit more of your background.

What are some of the suggestions you might have, given your experience with this population?

Carlitos

Beyond the three I have offered?

Well, education about the availability of this and other modalities is still in its infancy, so most Vets are not aware our medicine exists. Would like to figure out how to safely spread the word.

Then, there needs to be solid post-treatment integration,  with a specific CPT-Rewiring angle, that is guided by someone trustworth to Vets, which usually means only service personnel. Even people like me, who have gained a measure of credibility and trust, are still "civilians and outsiders."

On that note, all those who will undergo MAJOR trauma catharsis need solid, in-depth post-treatment integration.

Also, IMO&E there needs to be a specially designed detox protocol from the (on average) 15-30 DAILY Rx medication cocktails most Vets are subjected to in order to get VA PTSD care. Far and above most other detox protocols.

More later. :)

Handshake

Quote from: Carlitos on April 18, 2018, 11:46:06 AM
Beyond the three I have offered?

Well, education about the availability of this and other modalities is still in its infancy, so most Vets are not aware our medicine exists. Would like to figure out how to safely spread the word.

Then, there needs to be solid post-treatment integration,  with a specific CPT-Rewiring angle, that is guided by someone trustworth to Vets, which usually means only service personnel. Even people like me, who have gained a measure of credibility and trust, are still "civilians and outsiders."

On that note, all those who will undergo MAJOR trauma catharsis need solid, in-depth post-treatment integration.

Also, IMO&E there needs to be a specially designed detox protocol from the (on average) 15-30 DAILY Rx medication cocktails most Vets are subjected to in order to get VA PTSD care. Far and above most other detox protocols.

More later. :)

This is excellent. I agree wholeheartedly.

Migaloo

I would just like to mention to people interested in this topic a new document called "Best Practice" has just been posted in this section. I recommend checking it out.