Main Menu

Single dose of 5-MeO in naturalistic setting linked to numerous benefits (Study)

Started by Bancopuma, April 16, 2019, 11:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bancopuma

A fresh of the press paper on 5-MeO-DMT I thought may be of interest to some.
Study:
Uthaug, M.V., Lancelotta, R., van Oorsouw, K., Kuypers, K.P.C., Mason, N., Rak, J., Sulakova, A., Jurok, R., Maryska, M., Kuchar, M., Palanicek, T., Riba, J. & Ramaekers, J.G. (2019) A single inhalation of vapor from dried toad secretion containing 5-methoxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine (5-MeO-DMT) in a naturalistic setting is related to sustained enhancement of satisfaction with life, mindfulness-related capacities, and a decrement of psychopathological symptoms. Psychopharmacology, 1-14.
Full open access paper can be read and downloaded from here:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00213-019-05236-w?fbclid=IwAR3fal7ndKv1cZ1PXb3o2Ltf7LMspbntJCPonKeyC0uO-cInhZgCn-K1Mb0

Abstract

BACKGROUND: 5-methoxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine (hereinafter referred to as 5-MeO-DMT) is a psychedelic substance found in the secretion from the parotoid glands of the Bufo alvarius toad. Inhalation of vapor from toad secretion containing 5-MeO-DMT has become popular in naturalistic settings as a treatment of mental health problems or as a means for spiritual exploration. However, knowledge of the effects of 5-MeO-DMT in humans is limited.

AIMS: The first objective of this study was to assess sub-acute and long-term effects of inhaling vapor from dried toad secretion containing 5-MeO-DMT on affect and cognition. The second objective was to assess whether any changes were associated with the psychedelic experience.

METHODS: Assessments at baseline, within 24 h and 4 weeks following intake, were made in 42 individuals who inhaled vapor from dried toad secretion at several European locations.

RESULTS: Relative to baseline, ratings of satisfaction with life and convergent thinking significantly increased right after intake and were maintained at follow-up 4 weeks later. Ratings of mindfulness also increased over time and reached statistical significance at 4 weeks. Ratings of depression, anxiety, and stress decreased after the session, and reached significance at 4 weeks. Participants that experienced high levels of ego dissolution or oceanic boundlessness during the session displayed higher ratings of satisfaction with life and lower ratings of depression and stress.

CONCLUSION: A single inhalation of vapor from dried toad secretion containing 5-MeO-DMT produces sub-acute and long-term changes in affect and cognition in volunteers. These results warrant exploratory research into therapeutic applications of 5-MeO-DMT.

Handshake

Thanks for posting this one! There's some great info in there on the constituents of toad venom since it was tested in a lab setting as well as info regarding toad facilitators.

Bancopuma

Really interesting and exciting research study. A few little issues with it though, I appreciate it was a naturalistic and observational study, so obviously no placebo group, but it seemed to have a high drop out rate, with just over half of participants completed the four week assessment. Most people were already 5-MeO experienced, and were using it in expectancy of positive effects. Also no control over Bufo dosage, which is not a standardised source of 5-MeO-DMT as it is.
I'm assuming Bufo extract was used due to its greater accessibility. Given all the media coverage this study has attracted, I worry that some will read it and it will encourage them to seek out the toads (which have their problems as it is due to overharvesting as we know). I appreciate pure synthetic 5-MeO is maybe harder to access and work with scientifically, but moving forward I think it would be a better choice to look at scientifically, ecologically and ethically.

Handshake

I think this study was conducted because there were so many toad venom ceremonies happening at the time of the study. To be fair, in the discussion they included this bit:

Quote"as the use of vapor from dried toad secretion containing 5-MeO-DMT through means of inhalation increases, there are several ethical and ecological considerations worth highlighting. The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) red list of threatened species at present does not classify the Bufo alvarius toads as an endangered species. The classification dates back however to an assessment of the toad population in 2004 (Hammerson and Georgina 2004). The increasing popularity of inhalation of vapor at underground ceremonies and acknowledgement of its therapeutic potential may however affect the stability of the toad population in the long run. The increasing demand for the vapor will disturb the ecological equilibrium of the toads through the invasion of habitat, excessive milking, amphibian trafficking, and black-market dynamics (PsychedelicsToday 2018). Harassment of the Bufo alvarius toad however can be easily prevented by using synthetic 5-MeO-DMT instead of vapor from dried toad secretion containing 5-MeO-DMT. Switching to synthetic 5-MeO-DMT offers the advantage that it does not contain a cocktail of different compounds, can be produced and dosed in a standardized manner, and is therefore much safer to use in naturalistic as well as controlled research settings."

I think they made efforts in the paper to educate people about the problems associated with the use of bufo venom.