I've heard that 5meo oxalate, like HCL, can be converted to freebase, but haven't yet encountered a step-by-step method for the oxalate. Are there any important differences from converting HCL?
Does anyone recommend smoking, vaporizing, or otherwise using the oxalate directly?
Interesting! Have never heard of 5-MeO-DMT Oxalate being available to a general population, as the most common salt form of this that has been mass produced has been the HCl salt.
However, I would venture to say that it could be easily converted to a freebase form to be smoked and would likely have the same safety profile of the other salt forms (hydrochloride, fumarate, acetate) to be used via other routes of administration.
To convert 5-MeO-DMT Oxalate, you would use the same methodology that one would use to convert 5-MeO-DMT HCl to 5-MeO-DMT Freebase.
Luckily, our friends over at the DMT Nexus have posted this handy step-by-step: https://wiki.dmt-nexus.me/STB_Freebase_Conversion_of_DMT
I don't think anyone has ever really attempted this, but here is a step-by-step hypothetical process based on the above Nexus tek that may or may not work.
Procedure for STB Freebase Conversion of (5-MeO-)DMT:
1. Dissolve 5-MeO-DMT Oxalate in an adequate amount of water. - Make sure you use purified water, don't use anything from the tap.
No reaction occurs at this point.
2. Add a concentrated solution of weak base until total precipitation is observed by the cloudiness of the solution. - An example of a weak base would be sodium carbonate, which you can get from sodium bicarbonate using the steps below. To get a concentrated solution, you'd want to look up how to make a concentrated solution of sodium carbonate.
a. Weigh your sodium bicarbonate, and put it onto a non-aluminum pan or oven-safe dish.
b. Place in the oven at 400ºF (205ºC) for one hour to one hour and a half to release CO2 and water. Alternatively you can put in a stainless steel (dont use any other material!) pot on the stovetop, 20mins should be enough. Be careful because the powder will be VERY hot, leave it to cool down for a while.
c. The resulting material should have lost around 20% of the original weight. It will be of a slightly less powdery consistency, closer to sugar than flour. If it didnt lose a third of the
original weight, leave it for longer in the oven
3. The oxalic acid undergoes reaction with the base, effectively neutralizing the acid and freeing the product in its pure alkaloid form, or freebase.
4. Stir in Nonpolar Solvent (NPS) thoroughly and allow to separate from the aqueous solution. - An example of a Nonpolar Solvent would be Naphtha or d-limonene
The more contact allotted between the product and the NPS, the greater the saturation. - Basically here the freebase product gets dissolved into the NPS which makes it easier to remove from the solution.
5. Collect the top layer of NPS, being careful not to allow any aqueous contamination. - Use a pipette or something similar here
Aqueous contamination may result in an impure product or may disrupt subsequent crystallization. - Don't draw up anything other than the NPS.
6. Repeat steps 3-4 with fresh or unsaturated NPS until the aqueous solution is exhausted to satisfaction.
Three washes is generally considered sufficient.
See Crystallization in order to render crystalline freebase product.
If one wanted to vaporize 5-MeO-DMT Oxalate as is, one would have to determine the boiling point for that compound and use appropriate heat.
Hope that helps! Keep us updated.